2.0 Parallel Development Tasks
The following were agreed to as tasks that could proceed in parallel:
- - Physics Kernel (cold plasma; T = 0, n = const.)
- - Time advance of Thermodynamic Quantities (n, T)
- - GUI
- - Pre-Processor (including Grid Generator)
- - Post-Processor
- - Improvements to Implicit Solver/Parallel Computing Issues.
Specific plans for the advancement of these tasks prior to the APS meeting
in November were developed. These are summarized below.
- 2.1 Kernel Development Plan:
- - Written document describing the NIMROD data structure complete (Alan G.).
- - Written list of NIMROD subprograms, including function
and I/O interface definition, complete.
- - Flowchart of NIMROD code complete.
- - Ongoing explicit studies of cold Alfven waves with PROTEUS completed.
- - Decision made on spatial discretization for NIMROD.
- - Interface to implicit solve defined and finalized.
- - Incorporation of full grid structure complete.
- - Implcit solve incorporated.
10/24: - Prepare APS posters.
- - Implicit field solve with susceptability tensor S incorporated. (Initially S will not contain the full plasma response.) This code will be compiled by this date, but not necessarily checked out. (Cold plasma only.)
- - Validation plan prepared.
- - Begin testing with different forms of S.
11/4: - APS meeting, Denver.
- 2.2 Thermodynamic Advance
It was decided to delay the development of the algorithm for the advancement of (n, T) until after the APS meeting.
- 2.3 GUI/Pre-/Post-Processor Development
- - Updated GUI functionality documents complete and on the Web (Ming, Olivier)
- - Define role of LLNL and Tom G.in GUI development.
- - Mike P. to report on feasability of HTML/Java and HTML/Python for GUI.
- - Alan G. to report on interfacing XDRAW with Netscape.
- - Create screens using Tk/Python (Mike P., Alan G., Daniel).
- - Limited functionality and integration with Kernel successfully demonstrated (Mike P., Alan G., Daniel).
- - APS meeting, Denver.
- 2.4 Improvements to Implicit Solver/Parallel Computing Issues.
It was decided to use Dan's version 0 (ITER.F) for
the APS prototype. Discussions were held on longer term
options for the implicit solve. These are summarized below: