NOVEMBER 13, 2000
PRINCETON PLASMA PHYSICS LAB
MONDAY, NOVEMBER 13
8:30 - 10:30 AM CODE DEVELOPMENT
- Vacuum (Scott K.)
Nonlinear shape advection is being tested. Smoothing of concentation
variable is required for numerical stability. Nonlinear advection is
being tested. Things look promising.
- Resistive wall (Tom)
Slab abd cylinder are implemented and benchmarked. Slight differences
between linear elements and HOE version, due to differences in the
representation of the wall.
Toroidal representation awaitig input from Morrell Chance. Tom is
looking into hacking VACUUM to get things startd. This would be
implemented in the precrocessing step, writing a file to be read by
- Neo-classical closures (Tom)
Several closuers have been implemented. NTMs have been seen with
anisotropic heat flux and PFD(pp1) model. Significant progress has
- Kinetic closures/particles (Charlson)
Particle tracing in NIMROD magnetic fields looks good. Particle energy
is conserved withing 1 part in 1.e-4. Electric field drifts are also
calculated directly. Should have particle/pressure effects coupled
into a dynamical NIMROD calculation by Sherwood
- nimX (Charlson)
nimX is an interface between NIMROD and OpenDX.
- Pre-/post-processing issues (Scott K.)
NIMROD is now successfully hooked up to MDS+.
Examples were given.
- Density evolution (Alfonso)
n=0 density evolution has been put into a version of NIMROD. There are
some questions about the outer boundary conditions, and conservation of
mass. These must be checked before these
results can be believed.
- IBM SP3???
We still cannot complile with the F90 compiler. We should put pressure
on NERSC to make it a priority to get NIMROd
running on this machine.
- Algorithm and repository update (Carl)
Carl gave an update on the status of the
code in the repository.
12:30 PM - 2:00 PM LUNCH
2:00 - 4:00 APPLICATIONS
- Neo-classical tearing modes (Tom)
- High-S/anisotropic heat flux (Dalton)
Must resolve diffrences
- Spheromak (Carl)
- Publications (possible in the next 6 months)
1. NTM comparison with theory (Tom)
2. Low R/a RFP (Carl)
3. Nonlinear external kink or tearing mode
4. Comparison cases (M3D/NIMROD) ???????
4:00 PM - 5:30 PM NIMROD/M3D COMPARISON CASES
- Tearing modes (Carl, Tom, Scott)
1a and 1b have both been succesfully run and converged linearly, and
have each been run nonlinearly.
- Two-fluid (Rick)
MHD part agrees well. 2-fluid is underway,
- Evaluation of collaboration (all)
- How can things be improved? (all)
4:30 PM 5:30 PM PLANNING
- Heard NSTX presentation.
5:30 PM - 6:00 PM OTHER ISSUES
- The view from Germantown (Curt)
- Place and date for next team meeting
6:00 PM ADJOURN